The one and only amazing- blood oranges tart!
I came across a recipe on the web, but since the first try came out a flop, I present my own mix and match recipe:
For the pastry I recommend this mix:
- 150gr butter, cut to cubs, cold
- 180gr flour
- 30gr almond powder
- 10gr sugar (obligatory, you can use 10gr more flour)
Mix all the ingredients together until they start to combine (use a food processor or a mixer), cover in nylon wrap and put in the fridge for 30min. Roll out the dough as thin as you like….put in a tart pan and return to the fridge for 10 min or more. Make sure your rolled pastry is flawless, i.e. without any holes or places for leaks because the tart mix is very fluid and will come out of those holes. Heat the oven to 170C. put in the tart pastry and bake 15-20min. This amount of dough can cover ~24cm pans.
For the wonderful wonderful filling:
- ~2-3 blood oranges and a lemon, from which you will need 100ml juice (all together)
- 2 eggs
- 70gr sugar (1/3 cups)
- 125ml heavy cream (half a cup)
- 1tsp orange liqueur
Mix all the ingredients together over a ‘bain marie‘ (i.e. in a metal bowl over a pot with some boiling water) for 5-10min. Put the mixture in the baked pastry shell and bake for 25-30min at 120C. Since the mixture is very fluid you can put it in the shell while the shell is in the oven to avoid spilling. Make sure you do not over bake this tart, cause it will turn into eggs which does not make a tasty tart. After baking the mixture should still be ‘wobbly’ but not fluid (something like a jell-o I guess).
- These quantities can fill a 24cm pan.
- you can also bake the batter in creme brulee dishes ( without the pastry on the bottom), as serve as creme brulee.
- Serve with blood orange fillets, or go creme brulee: sprinkle sugar and burn it with a burner. the decorations should go in exactly before serving, they cannot be put in advance.
- you can use whatever recipe you like for the pastry, but make sure it does not have any cracks or holes, otherwise the batter will spill all over the oven, so please pay attention.
- it is not recommended to keep this tart for long, so take that under consideration (lets give it no more than 3 days)
Pretty in pink, ha?