Sweet and salty, perfect for wine, beer cheese and all those good things that make you feel like a king or queen!
oh, and easy as hell!
- 375 gr plain flour (~2 + 2/3 cup)
- 50 gr powdered sugar (1/3 cup +1TBS
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt+ sea salt for flavor
- 1 tbs fennel seeds
- 80ml sweet (dessert) wine such as Marsala (1/3 cup)
- 125ml good quality olive oil (1/2 cup)
- 80ml water (1/3 cup)
- 1 egg yolk (for brushing)
Sift flour, powdered sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Crush the fennel seeds (with a pastel and mortar if you have one) and toss for 0.5 min on a medium heat, just until fragrant. Add the fennel to the flour. Mix.
Mix together the water, wine and olive oil. Mix into the dry ingredients. You will get a clay -looking dough. Roll ‘snakes’ from the dough and create small hoops (or ‘doughnuts’) about 4×4 cm.
Arrange the loops on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Brush them cookies with egg yolk. sprinkle some sea salt.
Bake at 180C (360 F) for 20min, then reduce the heat to 150 C (300 F) for another 15min.
Take out the cheese, wine and salami and start your royal feast.